EDU is the short for 'education' and Tiki is an abbreviation of Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware
. Since October 2002, Tiki has been used in several educational contexts, and this website is dedicated to facilitating that use and gathering useful components to make that use easier. Please visit the forums
to discuss or ask about anything related to the educational use of Tiki Wiki CMS/Groupware, suggest improvements, ... and update the ToDo
Use of Tiki for Education
There are many features
that can be used in educational scenarios. Some are:
- Tiki logs the activity by user and by work, and has a simple interface for report generation, which can be exported: See Action log.
- Rating allows faculty or peers to rate the quality of documents, posts in a discussion forum or comments, etc.
- "Type of contribution" requested of users at post time, to enhance reflective and significative learning... See Contribution
- The Quizzes feature allows you to build sets of questions for contests, e-learning, or just plain fun. Quizzes have several available controls:
- Points per question
- Points per answer
- Passing Grade
- Time Limits
- Repeat the Quiz
- Results Storage and Analysis
- Plugin MiniQuiz allows to create a quiz using a Tracker. This is similar to but different from the Quiz feature.
- Plugin Exercise allows to create exercises within a wiki page for students to test their new skills, defining inline questions and giving optional answers to be selected from. A score is given for multiple exercises within a page. The plugin can be used to create questions with suggested answers or with a text input. Such as http://press1for.co.uk/income-support-contact-number/
- Since Tiki10 : Workspaces UI was introduced as a core Tiki feature, to help administrators create workspaces from workspace templates predefined by them, with a few included resources, groups and permissions pre-assigned to them.
- Scorm is a format used to package learning material in Learning Management Systems.
- Tiki provides special handling for those files when stored in File Gallery. The file will be read and a Tracker Item will be created, which allows for automatic indexing of the file's meta-data.
- There is PluginPlayScorm, which plays a SCORM learning object in an iframe. Requires Moodle to be installed.
- PluginH5P allows to add and easily edit many HTML5 media content types in Tiki-powered websites, thanks to the integration in Tiki17 with content and tools from https://h5p.org and http://qwikfix.co.uk/sky-customer-services/
- Tiki can be integrated with an instance of BigBlueButton web conference and elearning system. See BigBlueButton. Key features of the Tiki and BigBlueButton integration comprise:
- 1-click log-in into BigBlueButton using Tiki user system
- Various permissions for the BigBlueButton session via Tiki's permission and group system
- Listing BigBlueButton recordings in Tiki.
- When the course is reaching the end, surveys are usually done on students to find out their satisfaction degree, and to get hints of ways to improve the teaching and learning experience. Basic surveys in Tiki can be organitzed through the Surveys feature, and advanced surveys can be managed with the Trackers feature.
Communications of Tiki for Education
(1) CIDUI - UniWiki-I[+]
(2) CIUDI - UniWiki-II[+]
(5) Tiki as e-Portfolio[+]
(6) Type of contributions and Action logs[+]
(7) Experiential - Reflective Learning[+]
(8) Assessing student activity through log analysis from computer-supported learning assignments[+]
- I'm Not So Dumb is a startup reference/student resource for secondary and entry college level math/sciences. This project is live now and is starting the first phase of information creation.
- We use Tiki in a Spanish secondary school http://www.cmariavirgen.org
- I have setup a school intranet based on tiki. Must add that much of it has been heavily customized for use in the school environment and to make it more user-friendly. Take a peek at http://trinitysch.org.uk but because it is a live site you cannot login. UserPageAndy
- We use Tiki in a secondary school in the Free Republic of Minnesota http://torch.harborcityschool.net
- Denny & LTSP: http://dennisgdaniels.com (?)
- I've used Tiki for two very specific projects. First, there is Battles of World War I project. Students recreated battles from WWI using the weapons and tactics of the time. The other is called the Holocaust Wiki Project and here students must create a branching simulation (think choose your own adventure). For both projects, I selected Tiki because of the wiki features and its is one of the only wikis with a login.
- I've just started using Tiki for a student collaborative research project into how ICT trends like Web 2.0 are effecting their lives. The adventure begins here CICT Wiki . The students will become a part of one of five teams and be able to choose one of the research projects listed from Social Networks in Education to the Digital Divide. They will each take a specific role as well, to make sure that all posts are to a high standard. For the project I selected Tiki because of the wiki features and its ease of setup on my server.
- please add more ...
- UniWiki: Some lecturers are using it a University of Barcelona, in Catalonia (Spain) within a project called Uniwiki, to test some tools for writing documents collaboratively among lecturers, students, and lecturers-students. The main tool is a Wiki, and some of the lecturers use Tiki. See more here, or directly at their homepage (http://uniwiki.seeds4c.org, in Catalan, and bits in Spanish).
- Matt Barton's Tiki - an English professor using Tiki to enable collaborative writing and composition.
- CarpeTiki Project:
- Carpetiki is the name of a project of innovation in teaching related to the use of "learning folders" (as we call them in Catalan, equivalent to "ePortfolio's") to improve the methods for evaluating learning at university, using tools from Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) of free software.
- AWikiForum project:
- AWikiForum is the name of a funded project of innovation in teaching related to the Evaluation students' contributions to Wikis and Forums, using tools from Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) of free software.
- Bages Foundation University, Catalonia, Spain
- Some course taught a IES Abroad Barcelona ( http://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/barcelona), where Tiki allows collaborative writing of final papers, manages the grade book of students, peer review of other student final papers.
- please add more ...
- We will use Tiki in our main portal training center http://www2.iseit.com.ve. We are using Moodle for the campus.
- I use it for my Internet Design and Fundamentals class. I talk about it
a little, but will add morehere: aimeeblog
- We want to use the WikiWikiWeb - technology for a project in the commercial basic formation. The project-site is on http://spedlog.stie.biz! (german)
- please add more ...
- Improve the core features in Tiki such as the Workspaces UI to ease the task to tiki admins to manage workspaces for learning environments.
- Complete a configuration profile of Tiki for education. See the work in progress here: http://profiles.tiki.org/Learning_Center
- LMS Dev, at tw.o
- http://doc.tiki.org/Mod+Aulawiki & their workspaces
- AulaWiki & Workspaces from Tiki 1.8 to Tiki4 : some adaptations of Tiki for educational contexts (secondary schools, universities, etc.), as well as the main new feature to help manage groups of resources, permissions and users in an easy way.
Tutorial about that feature.
Latest threads and posts on edu.t.o forums